Penny Dreadful #1
Penny Dreadful is based on the television series of the same name. It begins with a woman appearing in a vision to Vanessa, explaining how she was possessed by a demon an needs to be saved.
Vanessa finds the girls father and convinces him to help her. They team up and make their way to try to assemble a bigger team but at attacked by a pack of wolves.
Even though they are able to fight off the wolves, other demonic beasts attack and they quickly realize their fire power is not quite enough to fend off the demons. It is then they are saved by a mysterious stranger.
- It is nice that everyone believes Vanessa without a bit explanation of why. It helps moves the story along quicker and if needed they can circle back to previous visions and how they came true.
- The art is interesting and unique. They do a good job of making the demons look really menacing.
- It seems to be too short and explains too little. While it’s nice that they don’t make Vanessa explain her entire vision to them, you would think they would want to share a little bit of information here and there about who the master is, how they all seem to know about these demons, or anything that would help the story feel a little bit more natural. It might all make more sense if you are already a viewer of the show, however as fresh eyes it seems to miss a few important details.
- The dialogue is a little bit forced, maybe only because the plot isn’t explained fully so it is left a little up in the air. Has potential to grow as it was a very short book and there is room for more exposition and conversations.
- As I said, the art is very unique. The demons are definitely spooky looking and the overall feel of the images add to the creepy style and tone of the story.