War Mother #1
War Mother is a story of a woman who lives in a very protective community that has to salvage it’s technological needs from other wrecks. The character herself is responsible for going out into the world and tracking down the fallen ships necessary to their survival. She has a companion: a targeting interface that is reset after every mission that she has to teach it how to best protect her.
- The War Mother is a general bad ass. She is a great character that is clearly strong, but still vulnerable. She proves that characters can have depth and emotions while still being tough.
- The concept of the story of one woman being able to leave the community is interesting, giving her a lot of responsibility to the safety and survival of the entire population.
- A little bit anti-climactic, but it a good opening to the story. You can tell they are having to set a lot of backstory up before they can get into the next steps.
- Not explaining the creatures they encounter seems like a missed opportunity. I hope they revisit the other species they met at the wreckage because it seems like there is a large world outside of the community they live in.
- The design of the main character is amazing. She is very well designed so that she looks like you do not want to mess with her, but when she smiles at the child from her home she is so sweet. The ability to flip between friend to ferocious fighter is sometimes a hard balance to obtain.