Wretches is a story about a brother and sister duo, Sean and Shea, who have been forced by circumstance to become mercenaries, hunting down beings to make money. They travel to different planets in search of their targets, working as a team with only each other to count on. But what happens when the beings start to fight back?
- The connection between Sean and Shea feels very sibling-like. Teasing and snarky comments make it very accurate to most peoples relationships. Their bond definitely comes across on page.
- Feels like a mix of Firefly and Guardians of the Galaxy, with the flying around to different planets and struggling to make enough money. It is like if you had Firefly mixed with Guardians with family members.
- I would like to know more about this Zed character, very sarcastic and fun.
- A lot left unexplained in this issue but as it is only a five issue run it will likely be explained later on. Things like who are all the people they live with, and where all these “beings” came from are not really touched on but it is always good not to overload the first issue with too much exposition.
- Because it moves quickly sometimes the characters feel a little bit one dimensional but as the comic progresses they will most likely fill the back story of all the secondary characters.
- Very bright colouring used, and interesting images. A lot of unique and stylized drawings are used to help bring the feeling of the past and how it influenced Sean and Shea’s current life.